Monday, September 7, 2009

Bats, it’s what’s for dinner!


I like going to Zomba market to shop for fruits and vegetables. I love the way everything looks and smells and all of the variety of produce I can get there. The best part about going to the market is that it makes me feel at home. In Ukraine there are outdoor markets, just like here.


Today, however, I was offered a special treat that I have seen only one time before in my six years in Malawi. It happened when I was buying green beans from one of the ladies. A young man of about twenty came up to me holding a bowl full of something. At first sight the things that he was selling looked like newborn fried and skinned chicks. But that was until I saw the remnants of the bat wings attached to the little bodies. Yes, he was selling fried bats for 10 cents each! He even had a little packet of salt so each customer could season his bat to his liking!


So now if you do not feel like eating mice you can always opt out for a bat! And this time they did smell just like chicken!

2 comments:

  1. You must have a very interesting life. These stories are crazy! I can't imagine eating bats or mice. Thank you for your postings. They are very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really a cool and useful piece of information. I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing. hotel frankfurt oder

    ReplyDelete